Pages

Friday, January 4, 2008

Socialist Democratic Monarchy

**Before you read this, I beg a disclaimer. Canada, and namely Toronto, is a wonderful place and the people I have met are some of the nicest. This little piece should not be taken at face value nor with too much regard to bias as it is composed of nothing but generalities and humoristic bits of first impressions. My experience has been within the bounds of Toronto, so this piece only speaks of its particular impressions.

Socialist-Democratic-Monarchy: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

Canadians suffer from a little inferiority complex known as, "north of the border". My first impression: It's a strange place, I gotta tell you.

Let's move to the basics. First of all, it's a Socialist Democratic Monarchy.

. . .

I'll give you time to think about that.

In Toronto, one is often asked where they're from upon entering a store, restaurant or any public service establishment whether one speaks with an accent or not. The first assumption is generally neither Canada nor the United States. One must use caution when speaking in any language, as all languages and dialects are certain to be understood within a five-foot radius.

Speaking of feet – meters, inches, centimeters, Fahrenheit, centigrade, pounds, kilos, - it would be easier if it was more consistent. Unfortunately, when walking in bugger-freezing weather, when icicles hang from your mouth and eyebrows and Frost-the-Snowman looks warm in his ice-trimmed coat, and someone mentions that it's 20 degrees outside, after someone else just said it's -10, consistency of even the most basic national self-identity seems to take a dive for the non-existent.

MTV, as we all know, is a product of . . . which country?

The United States is certainly too close to Canada's border. Perhaps this creates more confusion for Americans and a nuisance for Canadians. It's still more expensive in Canada, despite the US dollar dropping below the Looney. People don't play hockey in the streets night and day, they don't always say "eh" and football is also a major sport.

Oh, by the way, Canadians have an impression of the US as a gun-crazy country. . . . They may have a point.

Finally, the promised subject of politics: What the hell?! Yes, I said it. It is a Socialist Democratic Monarchy. Leave it to the Canadians to slap together three contradictions and, more or less, make it work. The Monarchy keeps the socialists stable who like to believe themselves as realizing a democratic form of rule.

Of course, this is a gross generalization and overstatement, yet, perhaps there's something to all this. In a country that can't choose between the metric and standard system, where the English language uses both British and American writing standards, where the downtown strip attempts at a consciously non-American, American version of Times Square, and Celine Dion is still the greatest thing to hit the radio special for the feature interview every time she has a new release, why can't a Monarchy make friends with capitalists and socialists through democratic union?

For now, Canada is a lovely place and I personally find it refreshing to come back to after quick drops into the convoluted warzone. But the inferiority complex should take a hike, and go far far away, or Canada can only be the quiet, relatively unimportant and plain, confused self that it is. On second thought, maybe that's what makes it so lovely – Canada is quiet, relatively unimportant, slightly confused and doesn't strive to stand out. Maybe it makes the perfect little hiding place.

1 comment:

  1. I did not read that essay before. I like it. Or I read it but did not remember.
    Good point about confusion with measurement systems, never thought about it. The picture of Toronto in Winter is very good. I fill like my nose is freezing.
    Love

    ReplyDelete